In case you missed Peter Sidwell at Jewson Live 2018, and the delicious pie he brought along, we thought we’d share the love (and pie) by bringing the recipe to you.
It’s perfect for a comforting meal after a hard day of graft. All of the budding sous-chefs among you, ASSEMBLE.
- Pour the oil into a pre-heated casserole pan, then add the bacon and cook until golden
- Add the chicken thighs and cook until browned on both sides
- Add the garlic and chopped thyme, and season with salt and pepper
- When the chicken is golden, add the diced fennel
- Pour in the stock and boil until the liquid reduces by half
- Put the lid on the pan and simmer for 30 minutes on the hob, or place in the oven for 1 hour at 160°C until the chicken is tender
- Pour in the sour cream and stir together
- Divide the pastry into 2 balls and roll out both pieces into a 1/2cm thick disk, using a dusting of flour on your work surface so it doesn’t stick
- Place the first piece of pastry into the pie dish, then brush the edges with beaten egg before adding the chicken pie filling
- Then add the top half of the pastry and crimp the edges together to create a seal
- Brush with the remaining beaten egg before baking in a pre-heated oven 180°C for 45 minutes until golden and crisp
Ring ring, we think that’s MasterChef calling…